There are several effects of mold in your home, and some of them are more serious than others. If you’re allergic to mildew or dust mites, exposure to mold may cause asthma and allergic reactions. It can also trigger allergies, including hay fever and asthma. Children are especially vulnerable to the health hazards of mold, and exposure to it can lead to development of these diseases. If you’re concerned about the potential health risks of mold in your home, you should take steps to prevent them.
Inhaling a large quantity of mold spores can lead to severe allergic reactions. Despite early detection, the symptoms of asthma and allergies may not appear for a long time. In the meantime, indoor exposure to mold can affect the quality of your indoor air. And there are several types of toxins produced by certain types of mold, including mycotoxins, which can cause serious illness. The National Capital Poison Center recommends addressing indoor mold issues as quickly as possible.
While most people don’t notice mold growth until they smell a musty smell, many people do not. If you suspect that your home has mold, investigate the cause and call a professional. According to the National Capital Poison Center, certain types of mold are toxigenic, meaning that they can lead to serious illnesses. However, this link has not been proven yet. Therefore, it’s important to contact a licensed pest control professional as soon as possible.
In order to combat the effects of mold in your home, you need to get rid of the source of the excess moisture. In some cases, mold is a result of a plumbing leak, a large spill, or high relative humidity. Porous items, such as towels and bedding, can absorb excess moisture and must be thrown out as soon as possible. If you’ve found a large patch of mold, you can remove it yourself by wiping down the affected areas with a non-porous cleaning solution. If the area you’ve identified has grown to a sizeable extent, you’ll need to call a professional to handle the job.
The effects of mold in your home are not always apparent, but it is a real health risk. Asthmatics are at a greater risk of developing an asthma attack when exposed to mold spores. While many people will experience some symptoms of asthma, some people can even develop allergies to mold spores. In some cases, the effects of mold are more severe than others, and some people are even more susceptible to developing these conditions.
Besides the physical effects of mold, it can also affect your health. It can produce allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins, which can be harmful to your respiratory system. Depending on the amount of moisture in the area, you might even experience acute or chronic symptoms. If you’re sensitive to mold, it can be dangerous for your children, so it’s important to get rid of it as soon as possible.